“Whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life”. John 4:14

Saturday, July 2, 2011

The adventure of a lifetime.

Adventure. Camping. Risk.

This is my way of getting you hooked into having to read my blog. Last night I decided to go camping. Or at least what I thought was going to be camping. Turned into an adventure hike that ended in sleeping on the ground. So technically camping I guess.  Let’s just say it was an adventure of a lifetime. And it was very exciting. Started out as a simple invitation to go camping. North Idaho is new to me, but the staff members I went with have some experience camping around here so I figured I could easily trust them.  Ha! So I was informed we would just be taking a mile hike, so I had my back pack and pillow and sleeping bag already to go. I could carry that for a mile no problem. I was so confident that I even carried a bag of Cheetos with me. As we ventured on for about 15 minutes, we got to a point where I felt we were no longer on a trail. This was when I realized that things were going to get interesting. The trail sort of exsisted, but it was more so covered with trees and bushes and all sorts of stuff that you just had push through. After way longer than a mile on this trail, we decided that our originally destination was possibly not happening, we could see over the mountain that the river was down below.  How do we get to the river? Scale down the mountain of course! Well, by this point because I tripped over a branch the cheeto bag finally broke, but it lasted a good chunk.  Going down the mountain had no trail whatsoever because not even animals braved this path. I had to use tree branches to hold on to as I climbed down. We then eventually hit the river. Oh wait, I mean creek. The river was further up.

As we hit the creek, the one in front who confidently wore flip flops, let us know that the creek was surrounded by this plant that when contact was made with bare skin it burned and was very painful. Lucky for me I had long pants and tennis shoes on. But at one point I slipped and it got my hand a little. I survived though. As we crossed back and forth over this creek/stream thing I gave up on keeping my shoes dry. (I luckily packed extra socks.) At one point, the handle for my sleeping bag broke and there went my sleeping bag into the water. I scooped it up in time for only a small portion to get wet. We then finally found the river! Exciting? Until I saw that camp grounds were on the opposite side. Oh yea and it was definitely dark at this point. Good thing I remembered my head lamp! So we (when I say we, I mean them, because I was clueless) knew that the road had to be close, so it was not time to give up quite yet. At this point, we were now on the side of the mountain covered in rock. This was when I actually was a little nervous. But God was definitely here for us because all of a sudden a legit path appeared! Although rocky, it was totally legit and led us to a camper! This campground then led us to the road, which led us to the bridge across the river. Hallelujah! At this point, we figured out where we were, and headed to a flat ground area to camp for the night. What an adrenaline rush!

This was totally a huge adventure. Although totally risky, I knew that God was with us as we ventured though his creation. The fact that no one was injured, including the guy in FLIP FLOPS, proves that he was watching. I feel like a real woman surviving this. As well as using the forest as a restroom multiple times. Luckily it was not needed until we arrived at a camp because there I got to find nice foresty area to have some decent privacy. The thing that surprised me the most is that only at small points was I actually scared about what we were doing. This totally shows how much confidence I have gained in God this summer. I love it! I know this was such a dumb risk of me, but I must be honest. It was SOOO worth it. I am becoming an outdoorsy woman. =] 

1 comment:

  1. OMG!!! And WOW! I'm gonna now call you Danielle Boone!!

    ReplyDelete